The BRC is a 20-hour program that includes both classroom and "hands-on" instruction. It is designed to teach the fundamental skills of straight-line riding, shifting, turning, and stopping, then works toward developing more complex street skills including essential braking, turning, and swerving techniques. It also focuses on developing good mental strategies and managing special situations. Motorcycles, helmets, and textbooks are provided for each student's use.
Students must bring the required motorcycle gear to the first class:
- Protective eyewear – prescription glasses or sunglasses, goggles, face shield
- Long sleeve jacket or shirt – no holes
- Long pants – denim or other sturdy material (no sweatpants, no yoga pants, no hospital scrubs, no holes)
- Full fingered gloves – leather preferred
- Over-the-ankle footwear – sturdy material (not cloth or canvas) must completely cover ankle