Preparing you for a career in the building trades
The goal of the Highway Construction Careers Training Program (HCCTP) is to increase the number of minorities, women and disadvantaged individuals working in the construction trades.
OVERVIEW OF THE PROGRAM
Math for the Trades:
• Math curriculum will focus on the fundamental concepts of basic numeric skills, measurement and conversion, algebra and geometry. The math concepts will be supported with practical applications, on the job problem solving, and job related tasks through communication.
Job Readiness Training:
• The job readiness curriculum is designed to add to the overall success in a work environment. The workers of the future need skills that will allow them to communicate effectively with team members as well as adapt to a diverse workplace.
• Students will create action plans with benchmarks during this course and will be evaluated in the following areas:
-Attendance and Punctuality -Attitude
-Fundamental Job Skills
-Job ready attire consultation
-Motivation & Self-esteem
-Teamwork and Conflict Resolution
• Program will include special speakers and field trips from area IDOT contractors and trade unions
Technical Skills Training:
• The technical skills curriculum will allow students to practice the principles learned in the classroom portion of the program. This part of the program will include tool usage, blueprint reading, labor extensive community service projects throughout the community, and hands-on activities at various trade unions. Participating unions include: Laborers, Carpenters, Cement Masons, Electricians, Bricklayers, Sheet Metal Workers, Operating Engineers, Painters, Steamfitters, Sprinklerfitters and Plumbers.
• Basic hand tools
• Work boots
• First aid/CPR certification
• OSHA-10 certification
• Forklift and aerial lift certification
• Weekly stipend
• High school diploma or GED
• Minimum math placement score
• Passage of a drug screen + random
• At least 18 years old
• A valid IL driver’s license
• Interest in the trades
• Mandatory attendance requirements
• Each session runs 12 weeks, Monday through Friday, 8:00am to 4:00pm
• There are two class sessions per year (Fall, and Spring).
• Contact Susan Sherwood for next class session.
• 12-15 participants will be selected for each session
• Class location: ICC Peoria Campus, Hickory Hall
Contact Info: Susan Sherwood, HCCTP Program Coordinator
*Funded by IL Dept. of Transportation and administered by the IL Community College Board. The Illinois Department of Transportation, the Illinois Community College Board and the participating community colleges do not guarantee employment upon a trainees’ graduation from the Highway Construction Careers Training Program.
Download this information